Koyo Do (Hong Duong T. Do) | Storyboard artist for empathy
My name is Koyo, a storyboard artist from Japan and Vietnam, based in the Netherlands. Having a multicultural environment, I consequently developed a strong sense of adaptability – in style, genre, and working environment. Doing Karate as a kid plus dancing hip hop and jazz in my adult years shapes how rhythmically I edit my storyboards. Additionally, choreographing movements and fight scenes greatly fuels me with energy.
Growing up constantly drawing comics, I naturally see visions in my head as soon as I read a script. Whimsical, funny yet dramatic action adventure is my calling.
Apr-Aug 2022 Women in Animation spring mentorship circle with Pramita Mukheejee
Worked as a director in a team of 10 members from across multiple departments under the supervision of Pramita.
2021 Storyboarding for Feature Animation with Rob Porter
Learned clarity in visual storytelling, cause & effect, character, camera, composition, cutting, continuity, story structure, motivated cuts, pitching. Rob provided us with a loose script so we can give it our own twist, and he gave us feedback as if he was our real director.
2018 Autumn School of Development
Institute for Studies of Society, Economics and Environment (iSEE)
Understanding how the world works to create impact. Learned: Fundamentals of philosophy, epistemology, discourse, power, justice, human rights, government, media, cinema, music, etc.
2017 Knowmads Business School
An alternative business school that trains changemakers. Learned: Design thinking, active listening, system thinking, etc. to
become a leader to drive social impact.
2015 Bachelor of Art & Technology
Saxion University of Applied Sciences
With internship in Tokyo, Berlin, and an exchange program in Barcelona.
• Other various short courses focused on Non-violent communication, education.
Oct 2022 Storyboard artist
Stop Motion feature film “Nosferatu Reanimated” by Erik van Schaaik.
May 2022 Storyboard artist
Anime style action dramedy animated short with a lot of flairs for Riot Games.
Feb 2022 Storyboard artist
Submarine (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Working alongside the director to develop the proof of concept for an action comedy animated series.
Sep 2021 Storyboard revisionist
“Unspoken” is an animated documentary film showcasing differing reactions to the terror acts that have occurred in Istanbul in the recent years.
Aug 2021 Storyboard artist
For Internet of Elephants’ upcoming campaigns that engages people with animals and conservation work on the ground.
2019–2021 Freelance animator & Facilitator for good
Campaign video creator: Writing scripts, storyboarding, filming, editing. Clients include NGOs and other companies such as: ActionAid, TEDxHanoi, iSEE, Involve UK, PPWG, Towards Transparency, helping refugees with integration.
2018–2019 Montessori Arts & Craft Teacher (Preschool)
Gained development psychology knowledge. Designed curriculum & demonstrated engaging projects to help children develop their coordination and concentration skills.
2016–2017 Motion graphic designer
EMOBI (Hanoi, Vietnam)
Edited videos and created course trailers. We produced e-learning videos to guide parents who want to give proper sex and gender talk to their children to improve sex education in Vietnam.
2016 Children’s book illustrator
“Fairy tales for a Fairer World” introduces 17 Sustainable Development Goals and bring awareness to global problems. Designed 15 characters as well as illustrating 45 images.
• Other jobs include facilitating workshops, event operation for Marriott Renaissance.
Community building & Hosting a safe space:
• Founder of Social project Nghệ:
– Received funding from Oxfam and a free booth at BridgeFest 2019 after pitching.
– Organized information events in hopes of breaking the stigma of creative jobs in Vietnam. Our first event reached 41k+ people on Facebook and was featured on national television!
• Co-Founder of Story Circle – A safe space for all kinds of storyteller to be vulnerable and to uplift each other: Discord community & meet ups.
• 2021: Hosted a Workshop “Telling your own story through comics” at WallsWithDoors. WallsWithDoors is an event that gives space as well as a voice to homeless people and promotes genuine connections between humans. My workshop was held along side with Non-Violent communication workshop and a workshop about dealing with depression.
• 2018: Volunteered for AIESEC – SDGs 10: Reduced inequality. Teaching at a kindergarten in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Former member of Comedy Improv group The Rotten Grapes (Hanoi, Vietnam)
• Original comic “Onebrella” on AniWay anniversary issue
Photoshop, Storyboard Pro, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, After Effects, Maya, Blender
English, Vietnamese, Japanese, basic Dutch
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mentor: Hannah Roman – Story Artist (Blue Sky, Pixar): firstname.lastname@example.org