Koyo Do (Hong Duong T. Do) | Storyboard artist for empathy
I am a Vietnamese born in Japan, currently living in The Netherlands. I grew up reading manga, watching anime and western cartoons. My entirety of childhood was spent drawing comics. As a “grown up” I never stopped exploring many different forms of storytelling as well as different styles of communications.
I’m passionate about creating emotional impact just like how my favorite movies have done for me. Humans are fascinating and I’m always keen on understanding how people tick, their deepest wounds and how they are coping with those scars. I’m fairly new as a professional storyboard artist (since 2021) but I’ve spent many years before this learning many different disciplines that would be foundational to filmmaking.
RESUME (Download Pdf ver.)
2021 Storyboarding for Feature Animation with Rob Porter
Clarity in visual storytelling, cause & effect, character, camera, composition, cutting, continuity, story structure, motivated cuts, pitching, making sure editors and directors have extra panels to work with.
2018 Autumn School of Development
Institute for Studies of Society, Economics and Environment (iSEE)
Understanding how the world works to create impact. Learned: Fundamentals of philosophy, epistemology, discourse, power, justice, human rights, government, media, cinema, music, etc.
2017 Knowmads Business School
An alternative business school that trains changemakers. Learned: Design thinking, active listening, system thinking, etc. to
become a leader to drive social impact.
2015 Bachelor of Art & Technology
Saxion University of Applied Sciences
With internship in Tokyo, Berlin, and an exchange program in Barcelona.
• Other various short courses focused on Non-violent communication, education.
May 2022 Storyboard artist
Anime style action dramedy animated short with a lot of flairs for a major video game.
Feb 2022 Storyboard artist
Submarine (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Working alongside the director to develop the proof of concept for an action comedy animated series.
Sep 2021 Storyboard revisionist
“Unspoken” is an animated documentary film showcasing differing reactions to the terror acts that have occurred in Istanbul in the recent years.
Aug 2021 Storyboard artist
For Internet of Elephants’ upcoming campaigns that engages people with animals and conservation work on the ground.
2019–2021 Freelance animator & Facilitator for good
Campaign video creator: Writing scripts, storyboarding, filming, editing. Clients include NGOs and other companies such as: ActionAid, TEDxHanoi, iSEE, Involve UK, PPWG, Towards Transparency, helping refugees with integration.
2018–2019 Montessori Arts & Craft Teacher (Preschool)
Gained development psychology knowledge. Designed curriculum & demonstrated engaging projects to help children develop their coordination and concentration skills.
2016–2017 Motion graphic designer
EMOBI (Hanoi, Vietnam)
Edited videos and created course trailers. We produced e-learning videos to guide parents who want to give proper sex and gender talk to their children to improve sex education in Vietnam.
2016 Children’s book illustrator
“Fairy tales for a Fairer World” introduces 17 Sustainable Development Goals and bring awareness to global problems. Designed 15 characters as well as illustrating 45 images.
• Other jobs include facilitating workshops, event operation for Marriott Renaissance.
Community building & Hosting a safe space:
• Founder of Social project Nghệ:
– Received funding from Oxfam and a free booth at BridgeFest 2019 after pitching.
– Organized information events in hopes of breaking the stigma of creative jobs in Vietnam. Our first event reached 41k+ people on Facebook and was featured on national television!
• Co-Founder of Story Circle – A safe space for all kinds of storyteller to be vulnerable and to uplift each other: Discord community & meet ups.
• 2021: Hosted a Workshop “Telling your own story through comics” at WallsWithDoors. WallsWithDoors is an event that gives space as well as a voice to homeless people and promotes genuine connections between humans. My workshop was held along side with Non-Violent communication workshop and a workshop about dealing with depression.
• 2018: Volunteered for AIESEC – SDGs 10: Reduced inequality. Teaching at a kindergarten in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Former member of Comedy Improv group The Rotten Grapes (Hanoi, Vietnam)
• Original comic “Onebrella” on AniWay anniversary issue
Photoshop, Storyboard Pro, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, After Effects, Maya, Blender
English, Vietnamese, Japanese, basic Dutch
Utrecht, The Netherlands